Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Is It A Good Fit?

The foundation has been set on how to read a book.  The next lesson focused on how to pick out a book that was just the right fit.  The kiddos loved this lesson! This lesson was adapted from the Daily Five book I have been reading and following as I use it in my classroom.   I packed a bag with some of my shoes and brought them to school.  I showed them to my boys and girls.  We talked about when I would wear my shoes and why.  For example, I would never wear my heels to run in, that is not the purpose of those shoes.  I would run in my tennis shoes.  It was such a fun discussion full of giggles!  I compared to the purpose of my shoes to how we pick out books we read --- books also have a purpose --- is it to learn something new, hear hear a familiar story, or to read for fun.  We then discussed that when we select a book it should be about something we like ---- kind of like picking out a pair of shoes we like.  Which is what I did with each pair of my shoes!  Next we have to make sure the book is a good fit for us ---- not too hard to read, not too easy, just right.  You guessed it, just like a pair of shoes needs to fit right or YUCK!!!!  Not comfortable at all!!!  Lastly, does the book selected help you for what you want to learn about.  After our discussion and me modeling the heels to my kinders delight and the dismay of my tired feet (the shoes were from my daughter's wedding!) I read the story Dog In Boots to the kiddos.  A funny story about a dog who goes through many pairs of shoes for different purposes finally realizing his paws were just the perfect fit for him!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment