Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Building Stamina

OK my kinders know they ARE readers and they have the knowledge to pick out books. Now we need to build our stamina to become SUPER READERS!  The boys and girls looked at me with such confusion as I used that weird word "stamina" a few times and then they finally asked as best as they could pronounce it --- what is stamina?  Stamina is that you do that takes a long time but you never give up!  You keep working hard until you make your goal.  To illustrate my point, I read the book Dex The Heart of a Hero. In the story, Dex is a small dog who wants to be a super hero.  He knows in order to be a super hero he needs to become strong, so he exercises each day adding a few more laps, a few more push ups until he makes his goal and becomes a super hero!  I must say the kiddos caught on very quickly.  I shared with the class that we were going to build our stamina as readers by reading by ourselves a few minutes each day and keep track as we built up our stamina as quiet independent readers with our good fit books!  Our goal - 15 minutes!!!  So the stage has been set we are on our way!!  Before you know it they WILL be SUPER READERS!!! 


Our stamina charts


Our goal - 15 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment