Monday, September 13, 2010

Sid the Science Kid

I love being a grandma actually a "Nana".  It keeps me young and hip with the 3-6 year old population.  Last summer my granddaughter, Karrigan, introduced me to a show on PBS called Sid the Science Kid and I was hooked!  I thought what a wonderful  way to teach science to young children.  The vocabulary is perfect, explanations are easy for little ones to understand, the characters are lovable and very relatable to young kids, and the science that is taught is awesome!  I wanted to record every episode and bring it back to the classroom.  I wanted to be Teacher Susie. Then I found out you can buy the episodes on DVD - so I did.

As you've guessed, I  have incorporated Sid the Science Kid into our science lessons.  For every episode, we will take a class survey similar to the one Sid will give his friends and then we will discus our survey results.  This will set up what we will be learning about.  I will show the Sid the Science Kid episode to the class the next day.  On the third day, we will do the experiment  similar to what the boys and girls just watched.  We will go back to our survey again and then journal our findings.  I don't know who will have more fun me or the kids!

Well, we did just that this last week and finished up today.  Our first Sid the Science Kid episode was all about estimation.  We estimated balloons and lollipops.  We will carry this skill over with our math as we introduce a traveling Estimation Jar.  We will do a few more estimation activities at school before we begin this take home adventure.  Please watch your BEE Books for information at a later date.

If you ever get the opportunity, I hope you will watch Sid the Science Kid at home and join in on all the fun!

Your child's teacher,
Mrs. Straight

No comments:

Post a Comment