Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

It is my impression that what touches Kindergarten children stays with them for a very long time.  I take my job very seriously.  Young children are so impressionable and learn so much from observation.  So much of it is wonderful and some ... well... not so much.  Teaching the lessons Dr. King once dreamt about is one of the joys of my job. 

I always spend a day or two prior to Martin Luther King Day reading stories about him and leading discussions about what he stood for - equality and fairness for ALL people.  It is always instinctive for children to see the world that way - if only everyone could see the world through a child's eyes.  

On Martin Luther King day, we do many activities to show and express his teachings.  Take a look at a few...


Dr. King, himself

A couple of close up views.  Even though the boys and girls follow the same set of directions, each picture is wonderful and unique!!



I read the book The Crayon Box that Talked which is also a famous poem to the class.  The premise of the story is that crayons in a crayon box argues that each color is the best.  A young child over hears the argument and buys the box of crayons. In the end, the child shows them that they are all beautiful,  especially when they work together.  I then discuss with my kiddos that our class is like that box of crayons -all different in a special way, no one is better, we are all wonderful in the same way - just like the box of crayons.

So cute!


I found this wonderful idea on - you guessed it - pinterest!  Thank you Vicky Moore for sharing!




                                              Our Poetry Page for this week
  

No comments:

Post a Comment