Monday, August 29, 2011

New Bee-ginnings

WOW! Things have been a buzzin' in the Kindergarten classroom!  The boys and girls have been busy little bees learning all about being in school.  I must say I am really impressed and oh so proud of my Kindergarten kiddos!
 
For our first full week of school, we began working in our reading series.  Our reading time is actually broken down into four separate learning times during our day.  First, we have Shared Reading time.  It is during this time I share all kinds of literature.  We learn about different genres such as poetry, informational text, fantasy and reality.  We learn about characters, settings, main ideas and sequencing.  We also work on our comprehension skills.  After PE we settle back down to ABC/Word Work time.  This is where I teach phonics to the kiddos ( letters, sounds and blending to read words), we learn and practice our sight words, and practice our rhyming skills.  Next, it is Work Buddies time.  The boys and girls break down into pairs and go to their stations while I run reading groups.  This gives me an excellent opportunity to work with kiddos in small groups on their phonics and reading skills.  Whew!  All of this takes place in the morning.  The last section of our reading time happens in the afternoon.  It is our grammar and writing segment.  It is during this time we learn about how letters make words when we write and putting words together can make sentences.  We learn about capitalization and punctuation.  We learn that we need a great idea first before we can write. We also will learn how to organize our thoughts and write sentences.  For our grammar time, we will discover nouns, verbs, adjectives and pronouns.

All I can say is that after one week successfully finished, the boys and girls in my Kindergarten class did an awesome job adjusting to our busy reading time!  I couldn't ask for a better group of busy little bees! Oh what a busy little hive our Kindergarten room will be!  I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment