Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Math Mania!

This year we started our new Math Series.  It is from the same publishing company as our Reading series.  I can tell you I absolutely love it!  The lessons are definitely geared toward different types of learners.  Some children learn best by handling and moving objects.  Other children learn best by only listening to information - they do not need a visual or anything to touch.  The best way to learn is using all senses or as many of them as you can.  Our Math series allows me to do just that.  We start out each lesson with Circle Time.  This is when I introduce our concept for the day.  Let me use today as an example.  Today's concept was "less than".  We began our activity with some counters - colored plastic circles and red bean shaped counters.  Each child had ten of each.  We used our "Kindergarten Math Words"  like sort, groups, same, different and discovered our two groups had the same number.  I then went around and took away two beans from each child.  They could observe, touch, and count their objects and determine they were not the same number anymore.  This is when I introduced our new math word "less than". We did several more examples engaging in conversation with each other using our math vocabulary.  Next, we practiced our new skill on paper but we did it together using our vocabulary once again.  This is when we get out our clipboards and sit on the floor in a rainbow shape while we work together on this paper.  Next, I check for understanding as I hand out a second paper.  This is our independent practice.  We use our offices to help us stay focused.  It is at this time, I can determine if a child needs a little extra practice on a particular skill.   Finally, it is homework time as we go over and discuss our math homework paper that goes home each day. That is a day in the life of a Kindergareten Math lesson.  My Kindergarten kiddos are such little troopers and are doing an excellent job becoming Math Maniacs!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment